Senin, 30 Mei 2016

Etiquette Chat: Bad Language in Public



We continue exploring the concepts of etiquette, poise and deportment that I write about in Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic, with today's discussion on bad language in public.

In today's video, I share four examples from my everyday life, including an etiquette horror story from Geoffrey's. Oftentimes readers ask me why I bother to talk about these personal experiences, and why I don't just ignore them. I write about them because one of the main endeavors of The Daily Connoisseur blog and Madame Chic books is to help us to live beautiful, elegant lives. In today's modern life, it's an etiquette minefield out there! I like to bring up specific examples from my everyday life because I feel they are more helpful than generic generalizations. These real-life examples help to illustrate my point.

Clearly, my stance is that bad language should not be used in a public place where other people are privy to it (especially children). While many of my etiquette subjects tend to be controversial, I imagine that this is one that most of us can agree upon. It's always a good idea to look outside of ourselves and be aware of where we are and who we are around before speaking. Plus, it doesn't hurt to clean up our language...

Check out my video this week to hear my stories. If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

News

Jessica M. White shares her book picks for May, 2016 and Madame Chic made the list!

I enjoyed reading this article on Bridgette Raes' blog called 5 Secrets of a Well Dressed Woman.

This Thursday, I will be running a giveaway for the new Simon & Schuster novel, Amy Snow. I am reading this book now and it is so good. 5 winners will be chosen so be sure to stop by and enter!

Comment of the Week
Susan writes:

Hi Jennifer! Love all your books, videos and blogs! One thing I especially love is the listening to classical music in the afternoon! It really helps me transition to the evening . . . wouldn't have thought of doing that on my own!!! Also, your advice regarding going with the flow of the day . . . that helps so much! Your wall paper in both bedrooms is beautiful! Stay well and we are all looking forward to hearing the baby news soon.


Dear Susan, Thank you! I am so happy you discovered the joy of classical music through my books and blog. It is one of the very true pleasures I indulge in almost every day. I hope it continues to bring happiness to your everyday life.

Question of the Week
J writes:

Thank you for your insights! If you have time, I need some outfit suggestions for a week long trip to Disney World. I see you wearing cute ballet flats and flat sandals for activities with your girls, but my feet do not hold up wearing those. If you had to wear shorts and sneakers (I blister horribly from sandals when walking long distances) to a theme park, how would you make it look put together and feminine on top? I was thinking sleeveless polos and cute cardigans, but I'm lost. Shorts/sneakers are not my usual staples, but Disney is a whole other world. Thanks!

Hi J, great question! You can still look chic and be comfortable for your Disney World trip. If you would like to wear shorts and sneakers, no problem! You can wear a nice tee shirt or blouse, and pair a cardigan or light sweater with it. You can tie the sweater around your shoulders if it becomes hot, or wear it if you get cold. I would definitely suggest wearing a hat with a larger brim to protect yourself from the sun. When I go to Disneyland with my children, I usually wear jeans, a striped tee shirt, my Nike tennis shoes and a hat with sunglasses (see my photo below). It's important to look after your feet when you are standing on them all day. Have a wonderful trip!


Disneyland 2013 :)

This week I would love to know... what are your thoughts on this week's etiquette discussion? Are you noticing more bad language being used in public places? Have your children been subjected to it? How do you handle it? Let me know and your comment could be chosen as comment of the week on the blog!


See you on Thursday for a special book giveaway for the new novel, Amy Snow.



Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter