Senin, 19 September 2016

Chic in College? Reader Q&A



This is a special week on The Daily Connoisseur. There will be three blogposts and videos answering your questions, starting with today's question, which comes from Caroline, who asks about how to be chic in college.

What a perfect time to address this question as everyone heads back to school. I have a lot to say about college life. It's not exactly conducive to living elegantly! In addition to my advice on avoiding the pajamas-in-class trap, I give important advice on how not to succumb to peer pressure in college. I hope you check out my video and share this with anyone you care about who is entering college.

If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel at www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur. Be sure to "like" this video and subscribe to my YouTube channel (it's free!). I appreciate your support!

News
Shamikia from Beauty Fold writes about her favorite parts of At Home With Madame Chic in her article called, Fashion and home life the French way.

Comments of the Week
Lillian writes:
Hi Jennifer, I just finished "Polish your Poise" this month. I have to say that some of your advice has really helped me lately. Recently I got into a political discussion with a family member I don't always agree with. I've really been taking your advice to heart, especially about not letting others affect your inner peace. Instead of getting defensive about my position, I maintained my cool and listened. Then when there was an opportunity for me to respond, I thoughtfully suggested my stance as an alternative way to look at the issue. The person still didn't agree with me, but I realized that was ok. Just because they didn't agree with me didn't mean my opinion was wrong. We both listened to each other, and the conversation and the rest of the evening was very pleasant.

This weekend my friend and I went shopping for some fall updates. When he found a shirt he liked, he went back to buy it in every color. I stopped him. After a little discussion, it was clear that the color he had instinctively grabbed to try on was the only one he actually liked. His strategy is usually to buy a lot of one thing he knows works for him (a useful strategy for someone who doesn't particularly like shopping). I suggested instead "What if you just wear this one a lot? This one will be your favorite anyway, you'll probably chose it over the others whenever you can, so just don't buy the others to begin with." He saw my reasoning. We'll see, but you might have another 10-item wardrobe convert soon!

Hi Lillian, I am so happy to hear that Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic helped you to keep your cool with your family member. During this heated political season we are inevitably going to come across people with strong and differing opinions to us. Keeping your poise will not only deliver your point more effectively, it will also help to keep the situation pleasant. I was also glad to hear of your friends' a-ha moment with the ten-item wardrobe concept. Well done!

Sissy826 writes:

Jennifer, just wanted you to know that you have really inspired me to focus on owning quality items and fewer of them. I am almost finished with my fall/winter capsule wardrobe (I live in Idaho, so it's a little more urgent for me. LOL!) for this year and I could not be happier with it. I feel I have upgraded my look and everything just goes together so nicely. I even took some time and found a pre-owned, but excellent condition, Coach bag for my wardrobe. Its not just clothes, either. For Mothers Day last spring I asked my family for a new, super awesome, gourmet pizza stone. My husband and adult kids all happily pitched in so it didn't strain anyone and I got something useful I really wanted. Tomorrow I am going to the doctor and running a few errands and will wear one of my new skirts, even though I know everyone will wonder what I am dressed up for. It feels so good not to just shlep around in jeans every day. Buy quality! Use our best! Keep spreading the word!

Hi Sissy, when you start to truly implement the look presentable always/ ten-item wardrobe/ high-quality clothing concepts from Lessons from Madame Chic, exciting changes happen in your life. I was so pleased to read about your experience. It truly is the small things!

Testimonial
Tawny C. writes:

I've been reading lessons from madame chic and I haven't been able to put it down! I love it so much, and I'm very glad I found your channel????

Thank you, Tawny! And welcome to The Daily Connoisseur!

This week, I would love to know... what was your college experience like? What did you observe? Do you have any advice to give or stories to tell regarding peer pressure? Let us know in the comment section, and your comment could be chosen as comment of the week!

See you on Wednesday, when I answer a ten-item wardrobe question from Caleb.



Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter